Sycacantha niphostheta (Turner)
AUSTRALIAN LEPIDOPTERA RESEARCH ENDOWMENT
The Australian Lepidoptera Research Endowment, established by Drs Marianne Horak and Douglas Hilton within the Perpetual Foundation, wishes to support taxonomic and phylogenetic research on Australian moths and butterflies by professional and amateur entomologists, and to enhance the curation of the Lepidoptera collection at the Australian National Insect Collection (ANIC).
Applications for Funding
A call for applications will be made by the Endowment in January each year and will outline the amount of funding available and the areas that will be considered for support. The deadline for receipt of applications will be 1 March. A decision on which applications to recommend to the trustee to fund from the Endowment will be made by the Scientific Advisory Committee and the trustee will advise successful applicants by 31 May. Researchers must provide the Scientific Advisory Committee with a report showing previously funded research has been completed before becoming eligible for potential new funding. Grant application forms see under Grants.
Grant Project Eligibility
The endowment supports endeavors in the following areas of interest on Australian lepidoptera:
- Support for visitors or students to curate parts of the ANIC Lepidoptera collection
- Collecting trips designed to obtain material for specific taxonomic studies
- Molecular, morphological and life-history research to generate data for taxonomic and phylogenetic studies
- Provision of cabinets to amateur collectors to ensure proper housing of material collected or on loan from Institutions
- Preparation and printing of scientific publications
- Travel and accommodation for international researchers to work in the ANIC to undertake taxonomic research and/or curatorial work enhancing the scientific value of the collection
- Scholarships to support undergraduate, MSc and PhD students undertaking taxonomic and phylogenetic research.
A list of all past successful grants are on the Past Awarded Grants page.
Call for Grant Applications 2023 - 2024
We are pleased to announce grants of up to $4500 from the Perpetual Foundation - Australian Lepidoptera Research Endowment (ALRE) for the financial year July 2023 to 2024, and we are inviting applications.
Any lepidopterist, amateur or professional, working on the Australian fauna, is eligible to apply for any of the activities considered for support.
To be eligible, grants can only be handled by organisations that hold Australian Taxation Office Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR1) endorsement (covered by Item 1 of the table in section 30-15 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997). Further documentation may be requested during the selection process to confirm an organisation’s eligibility.
The applications will be assessed by the Scientific Advisory Committee and a recommendation with applications to be funded from the ALRE will be made to the trustee in April 2023. Successful applicants will be advised by the trustee by 31 May 2023 and the grant will be disbursed to the eligible beneficiaries.
Please download the application form here: Application Form
The application form should be submitted by 1 March 2023 by email to [email protected].
For queries please contact Marianne Horak at [email protected] or via telephone 041749438.
Acknowledgements to CSIRO Publishing for the Logobased on a drawing by R. Nielsen for the Checklist of the Lepidoptera of Australia, volume 4 of Monographs on Australian Lepidoptera: http://www.publish.csiro.au/nid/22/pid/260.htm.